The Council of the Humanities was founded in 1953 to foster teaching, research and intellectual exchange. In close collaboration with departments and programs, it brings together faculty, students, guest scholars, writers and artists in a wide variety of venues. The Council also sponsors a broad range of courses in humanistic studies and in journalism. The Humanities Council is located in the Andlinger Center for the Humanities, named in honor of the generous benefactor, Gerhard R. Andlinger '52. The Center is a complex of four buildings at the heart of campus. The historic Joseph Henry House, once the home of the great physicist, is now the headquarters of the Humanities Council, the Society of Fellows and the Ferris McGraw Robbins Program in Journalism. The Scheide Caldwell House next door, a gift of William H. Scheide '36, brings together a wide array of interdisciplinary programs. East Pyne houses language and literature departments, while the Chancellor Green rotunda and café offer space for study, discussion and relaxation.